Feb 9, 2009

Film Exposure: A Look at Web Based Film and Television Resources

As a cinephile there is nothing more difficult than deciding what film to watch. There are always just too many I want to see. In determining which films to screen I rely heavily on the world wide web which provides sites that offer detailed reviews and production news. At times the abundance of film or entertainment related articles on the web can seem overwhelming and the material presented is often repetitive. As a new member of the blogosphere I scoured the web using search engines like Google, Blog Flux and Technorati, in order to find relevant websites and blogs that I can draw from for my own posts and which I am sharing in the linkroll to the left. I decided to give an introduction to these sites in my first blog post(ever!). In order to maintain a level of accountability and professionalism when choosing the website for my linkroll I used the Webby Awards and IMSA criteria as guidelines. The Webby Awards criteria requires one to review the visual design and interactivity of a site to determine whether it is stimulating to the reader and easy to navigate while maintaining convincing authorship. IMSA criteria is more specific to the Blog world. It stresses the importance of any blog author being experienced in his/her field and requires that he/she use factual and established sources for their articles while honestly admitting their biases and responding to them. The first links that I added to my Linkroll were Variety (pictured above), The Hollywood Reporter, and Entertainment Weekly, all of which are respected trade papers of the entertainment industry. IndieWire is similar to theses sites except that it focuses solely on independent films. SlashFilm is an alternative movie news and review blog that has been cited by major media sources like CNN and BBC while Thompson On Hollywood is the daily blog written by Ann Thompson, the deputy editor of Variety. I also included independent producer Geoffery James Clark’s blog TheGuyBehindtheGuy.com which gives more of a personal view of the industry from someone working within its confines. Business Exchange: Movie Business is an aggregator that links to more business oriented film articles. Aside from having an extensive database of films, Internet Movie Database also has an excellent aggregator that draws from Variety and many other sites already on my linkroll. I hope that my blog will be a valuable resource to its readers and that my individual experience as a film student will enhance this blog’s success in being informative while providing a unique and personal perspective on the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.